Old June 4th 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Central line buggered again

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:19:28 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

That was my first post. I too am hoping for word on what went
wrong. However, given that it was Boltar who started this thread
in his usual manner I'm not holding my breath.

I only have partial information and this is put here in good faith.
I'm not getting into a slanging match with *anyone* as to the
rights and wrongs as I would expect there to be a full
investigation.

The points from the siding to the e/s platform failed at Marble
Arch. Trains were trapped to the west of the station. An attempt
was made to bring the track "back up" by taking a train in and out
of the siding. The passage of a train can often put the signals
back into working order.

The train movement made no difference. The points were then secured
to allow trains to run on the main line. There was a problem in
doing this properly and when the first train ran through the points
were damaged. When this happened it was evident that the two
remaining trains stuck between Lancaster Gate and Marble Arch would
need to be evacuated which was then done effectively. As per
standard procedure medical staff and an ambulance were in place to
attend to the evacuated passengers.

Metronet undertook temporary repairs to get the line running again.
Permanent repairs were made in engineering hours.

I think it is safe to say that there were mistakes made and that
lessons will be learnt. I would expect there to be a full
investigation and report into the incident. Such reports and
actions are tracked at Board Level - I should know as I've had some
in the past - and all progress on the actions is monitored by the
HMRI.

I hope that is helpful to group members - including those who think
we are all a bunch of useless @@!@£@&!s

Thanks for all this, Paul.

LU seem to have given up putting out any press releases about such
incidents, leaving us to depend on the Evening Standard. It used to be
the case that whenever there was a serious delay or a slow evacuation, a
press release was put out which gave some information to explain what
happened and why, and also to apologise and demonstrate concern for its
passengers. All good customer service practice. But nowadays, they
seem to want to bury the bad news unless it's really bad (derailment
etc.) Do stations on the line affected still get printed posters with a
message from Tim O'Toole or the line boss, which also used to happen in
earlier years?

--
Richard J.