Old August 21st 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercards and National Rail

In article ,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

"Colin" wrote in message

I suspect the best you will be able to do is buy a normal card season
ticket to the 'edge of Zone 6', then a seperate Oystercard 6 zone
ticket for travel inside London.

I wondered about that, but it would be expensive. Consider the cost of
commuting in from, say, Luton:

An annual Season Luton - Elstree (which is the first station in Z6):
costs £1804. (source:
http://www.swt-seasontickets.com)
An all-zone travelcard (i.e. an Oystercard) is £1488. (source:
www.tfl.gov.uk)
Add them together and you're paying £1488+£1804=£3292.

Whereas the cost of an annual Travelcard from Luton to Z123456 is £2880
(source: http://www.swt-seasontickets.com)

Oddly, some journeys *are* cheaper by booking to and from boundary zone 6.
When I went to Reading the other day, a Peak Travelcard from Cambridge
plus a boundary zone 6 standard day return to Reading was quite a lot
cheaper than a standard day return from Cambridge to Reading. The main
problem was booking them at Cambridge! Odd, because they are supposed to
sell the cheapest fare for a particular journey.

--
Colin Rosenstiel