Old June 14th 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Ipswich - Basingstoke Services

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a good
cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden Road a
couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you think they
will be reintroduced?

Yes, it's now called 'Crossrail'.

As has been pointed out, the service was actually monstrously slow, so,
although it was a nice idea and fairly convenient, it wasn't really better
than changing. Also, it involves the North London line, where the little
capacity left over after the current passenger and freight trains is soon
(for some value of 'soon') to be gobbled up by Ken's space programme [1].

tom

[1] Something about orbital journeys, right? I bet they'll have Met-style
extra zones for it, though, the tight *******s. It'll probably be at least
a tenner to the moon.

--
Hit to death in the future head