Old June 15th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"John Ray" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

BTW, I think you'll find the definition of "road" includes the pavement.

Ah, so that's why so many cyclists seem to think that they are entitled
to ride on the pavement.

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that many
police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what we used to term
'the footpath', for their own safety.

OTOH, as a cyclist, why is it that when discrete footpaths and cyclepaths
are provided (even with grass strips between them), with clear signage on
the asphalt and on lamp-posts, half-witted pedestrians (usually with prams
and pushchairs) STILL insist on jay-walking along the cyclepath, then having
the audacity to verbally harangue any cyclists with the temerity to ask if
they can pass?

The bottom line is that, whether pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, there
is bad practise and intolerance between all groups. Ultimately, better
roadcraft, less arrogance and more consideration for other parties would
improve everybodys day!