Old June 15th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
kiko kiko is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

Clive wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
Then we come to the next point; cyclists want to be treated like
"proper road users" (in actual fact, they mean cars, but if you mention
that, they deny it.)That's fine by me. I want them to be treated like
"proper road users", too; that is, registered, licensed, tested, carry
a registration plate, be prosecuted for their continuous infractions of
the road laws and bled white in taxes. Then they can justifably
complain about the crappiness of the facilities they are provided with,
since they will have paid for them. Whinging about things provided at
other people's expense just shows what kind of people they actually are.

I endorse this 100%.
--
Clive

In sentiment only I hope since quite a bit of it is wrong.

If as Huge says being treated like a "proper road user" means being
"registered, licensed, tested, carry a registration plate" then Huge is
wrong if he thinks cyclists want that. I haven't a clue what else he
thinks being treated like a "proper road user" means - oh yes being
taxed loads. No thanks. I pay enough tax already.

Quite happy for all cyclists to be "prosecuted for their continuous
infractions of the road laws". Same for all road users.

"provided at other people's expense" - I'm sure if you try very hard
you'll be able to find a cyclist who's paid no tax, otherwise that
statement is rubbish. I'm sure you could also find a motorist who has
paid no tax other than on fuel. And who knows you might even be able to
find one of those.