Old June 15th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
chris harrison chris harrison is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

Adrian wrote:
chris harrison ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :
Also not average, but not unimaginable.

So where did "average" come into it? Although I'd suspect that it's *FAR*
more common to buy inexpensive cars than expensive bikes...

Not if I look at the cars on the roads I walk past in the morning. I
would put money on an overwhelming majority of them costing their owners
more than 5 grand when bought - and a goodly proportion of them still
worth more than that.

FWIW, I introduced the word 'average' several posts ago. You were making
out that you would not have done something - that is only relevant if
you are proposing yourself as the typical man in the street? Otherwise
why should you go on to question why spending the same sum on a bike
should be a cause of surprise?

It goes a lot further than that same 5 grand spent on a car

How? Seriously - genuine question. I'm *baffled* about what a £5k bike will
do that a £500 one won't.

As the old saying goes, if you have to ask the question, you won't
understand the answer.

But it is very similar to asking what a 50 grand car will get you that a
5 grand one won't.

You get better technology, better materials, higher quality components,
better performance.