Old June 15th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

chris harrison ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

You get better technology, better materials, higher quality
components,

Do you get more space, more comfort, and more functionality?

Those are not typically factors considered when spending that sort of
amount on a bike

But they're definitely factors in spending £50k on a new car rather than
£5k.

Consider road bikes. At the cheap end of the market (e.g. less than
500 quid)

Umm, I'd have said the "cheap end of the market" for new bikes was less
than £100 from Halfrauds. £200 at a push. That's your direct bicycle
equivalent to a £5k new car.

£500+ for a new bike is equivalent in market position to somewhere around
£15-20k new car territory, I'd have thought - starting to get towards the
top end of tangible reasons to buy (space, toys, build quality) and head
into the intangibles (prestige, bling, fashion)

On that basis, £5k for a bike has to be somewhere around £100k car
territory?