Old June 15th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Nah, you still haven't worked it out. He didn't spend 5.5 grand on a
bicycle. Nor did he spend 3 grand (or whatever it was) on a bicycle.

So John's telling porkies when he says he dropped over £500 tax on a bike,
too?

Go and read the post again. There have been quite a few hints. No, John
isn't telling porkies.

If I mention that the last bike I bought cost 450 quid in tax on frame
and fork alone (ok, front hub too), will you go all astounded at that?
But I bet you wouldn't find an equivalent cheaper.

But you're failing to explain to me what spending all that cash on a bike
*does* other than make you feel warm and fluffy and all Lance Armstrong.

Comfort and handling mainly. The expensive bike is loads more comfortable at
certain critical moments, and is easier to keep upright. Is that enough of a
clue? (no, probably not. Never mind. All bikes are just like what Dixon of
Dock Green rode, there are no variations at all.)

cheers,
clive