Old June 17th 05, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Improvements to the North London Line

Paul Corfield wrote:

Interesting - I don't use the GOBLIN much but I saw the 06.56 to Gospel
Oak leave Blackhorse Road the other morning and it certainly appeared to
be full with all seats taken. I was somewhat surprised that it was that
busy.

I've certainly seen the NLL running to standing room only and I'm not
the least bit surprised given that it serves a great many populous areas
and has reasonable interchange facilities to tube and rail services.

I think reasonable is a bit strong. Round here, after a useful
interchange with the Bakerloo at Willesden Junction, in the space of
about 4 miles it crosses 3 major lines with no interchange at all,
until it starts sharing tracks with one branch of the District.

I am sure this is why this section is relatively uncrowded.

The great value of the NLL, with more capacity and those new
interchanges put in, is that it makes it practical (ie no slower) to
avoid zone 1 for many more journeys. This relieves congestion where it
is worst, whereas boosting capacity on radial lines increases zone 1
congestion.

Colin McKenzie