Old June 17th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Buck Buck is offline

Default Train-home ban for big bike ride

On 06/17/2005 16:33:44 "Dave Larrington" wrote:

David Martin wrote:

I would be quite happy for bulky goods (large suitcases, bicycles, prams
etc.) to be carried at a nominal handling charge if I could be reasonably
sure of getting a bike oto a train. It makes a mockery of the train
service when a family of five cannot travel with bikes.. I'm thinking of
the highland lines where you can only fit 2 bikes per train (officially).

When I was a penniless student oaf, the Uni cycling club would meet up on
a Sunday morning, decide where we wanted to go, ride to the appropriate
station, get on the train, go to the green and pleasant countryside, ride
around the place and return. Nowadays this would not be possible.
Apparently this is "progress".

However, I believe you /can/ still take a washing machine or a stuffed
hippopotamus with you as "luggage".

But Uni cycles only have one wheel! heh

--

Buck