Old June 18th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Ipswich - Basingstoke Services

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Baffobear wrote:

What ever happened to the Ipswich to Basingstoke service. It wasn't
widely publicised, but if it was I'm sure it would have provided a
good cross London Link. I I remember seeing an Anglia DEMU at Camden
Road a couple of years back. Now 'one' has taken over Anglia, do you
think they will be reintroduced?

Heres a report I wrote about the journey in 2001

Most entertaining, thanks for that!

I tried to imagine myself in the position of an Ipswich resident,
fearfull of the big city, knowing this train would take them to
Basingstoke without risk of contamination by the great Wem. Perhaps I
would look in bemused curiosity at St Pancras, the London Eye, the PO
Tower, longing but not daring to approach "I can see the look in your
eye Mabel - put such thoughts out of your mind. There is nothing but
wickedness in this city, wickedness I tell you. This train keeps us
safe". And thats the core market for this service - those who fear
crossing London by underground. Its the yokel special.

Hee!

As the doors shut it turned out that three of them didnt want to be on
the train anyway. One woman wanted Willsden Junction and another
Richmond.

So it didn't call at Willesden Junction? That would seem like a pretty
obvious place to stop, given the interchanginess of it. Still, sounds like
the service was slow enough as it was.

tom

--
If you tolerate this, your children will be next.