Old June 19th 05, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ewan Ewan is offline

Default Train-home ban for big bike ride

David Martin wrote:
I would be quite happy for bulky goods (large suitcases, bicycles,
prams etc.) to be carried at a nominal handling charge if I could be
reasonably sure of getting a bike oto a train. It makes a mockery of
the train service when a family of five cannot travel with bikes.. I'm
thinking of the highland lines where you can only fit 2 bikes per train
(officially).

Far North Line (which uses 158s) is two bikes per two coaches, but in
the past ScotRail have put a van on to transport additional bikes

Highland Main Line seems to be Turbostars a lot now and they're
currently being modified with a second bike rack so that they can now
take four bikes per three coaches (and it's not unusual to see them
doubled up). (Or there's GNER's Highland Chieftan which will officially
take 6 bikes IIRC.)

West Highland line (which uses 156s) is six bikes per two coaches and
trains are usually formed of at least two units (although the number of
bikes depends on the amount of luggage being carried as well).

I doubt you could call the situation on the FNL or HML ideal however
(certainly if there's five of you).

Cheers,
eat

--
|"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."
....| -- President Merkin Muffley