Old June 20th 05, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Heathrow Express etc. Today (Sun 19/6)

In message , Dr Ivan D. Reid
writes
On 19 Jun 2005 14:37:36 -0700, Dubba
wrote in .com:
Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
Any news on what the "mainline problems" were that cancelled all
Heathrow Express trains today?[from 1159]

I travelled from Oxford to Paddington today, which took 2 hours. I
heard from another passenger there had been a suicide on the line at
Southall, but I don't know if that was actually the case.

That sounds more plausible than engineering works which were known
well in advance. Thanks. I was afraid it might have been a derailment
due to lines buckling in the heat.

So that's why all us taxi drivers were so busy! The train problems were
also compounded by air traffic control problems resulting delayed
flights. As they say "it's an ill wind..." :-)

Of course if you take a taxi all the way then the driver has the option
of trying to find an alternative route if the main route is blocked.
With a train there's not usually such an option.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England