Old June 20th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
ian henden ian henden is offline

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, ian henden wrote:

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

As a cyclist (who doesn't use the pavements!) it astounds me that many
police forces now actively ENCOURAGE cyclists to use what we used to
term 'the footpath', for their own safety.

Depends on circumstances. Some places, traffic density is so high it's
better to segregate slower traffic from faster traffic.

Absolutely, but once you've got them away from the slower-moving traffic,
isn't the pavement the worst place to put the bikes?

Depends on circumstances. Where there is high ped traffic, then you would
probably find a seperate cycle facility. Where ped traffic is light or even
almost nonexistant, then shared facility is adequate. Does rely on people
having some common sense, though, peds as well as cyclist.

A blind ped isn't going to recognise markings seperaing the cyclists half
from the peds half, for a start. Cyclist, of course, will recognise this
problem and treat the ped with appropriate respect.

--
IanH