Old June 22nd 05, 07:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default Congestion charging hits the rails

MIG wrote:

At least SET has finally made some suburban trains as long as they were
when they were slam-door. The peak trains to London Bridge via East
Croydon and Tulse Hill tend to be six coaches I think, and certainly
never more than eight, yet they are not more crowded then the ten-coach
SET services they are in parallel with on the approach to London
Bridge.

The peak Thameslinks through Tulse Hill are almost always 8 coaches
(except on Monday, when everything was in the wrong place because of
the problems near Bedford, which meant overcrowding that was dangerous
rather than just uncomfortable!) The SET peak trains to Blackfriars via
Herne Hill are generally 6 and busy but not overcrowded.

Where there is overcrowding on Southern, it is due to short trains,
like a four-coach evening peak train I caught to Brockley a while back.

There used to be a London Bridge - Beckenham train at about 6.30 that
was booked for a 2-coach 456, and every day the driver made an
announcement that the train was *not* short formed. That was not a
pleasant ride.