Old June 22nd 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default Train-home ban for big bike ride

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
To get an 8 car train between Ely and Cambridge they have to be sure the
line is clear so it won't be checked en route. The power is fed from
Milton, just North of Chesterton Junction at the Northern end of
Cambridge and isn't sufficient to restart a 8 car train in section,
apparently.

Interesting, thanks. As far as I know, the section concerned runs from
Milton to Littleport (roughly 20 miles). The next feeder station to the
north is at Kings Lynn (20 miles from Littleport). For comparison, the
Midland as electrified had two FSs - at Grahame Park and Sundon, responsible
for an intense EMU service all the way from Bedford to St Pancras, which is
roughly 50 miles. However I've no idea what other factors exist on the
Kings Lynn line - though the next FS to the south of Milton is at Ugley
(between Elsenham and Newport). I wonder if there would be a problem if
either Milton or Kings Lynn were out of use, as Ugley to Kings Lynn *would*
be a long section.

(uk.railway added).

Watlington is a recent halt which only has short platforms as you say.
Downham Market, I'm sure because I've been there more than once, has
platforms long enough for the old loco-haled services. I would be
surprised if Littleport hadn't too.

As chance has it, I have some photos I took at some of these stations.
Littleport and Watlington are definitely both 4; Downham has two sets of DOO
monitors, which suggests it can hold 8, but it's not totally clear. So,
perhaps there's scope for a Cambridge - Ely - Downham - KL service; most if
not all service currently do seem to stop at all stations, which takes us to
power supply again... Judging by overcrowding I've seen on some peak-hour
KL trains, there's definitely a demand for longer trains north of Cambridge.

There is nothing like enough stock for all trains to be 12 car though
there are some 12 car Peterboroughs now. When Thameslink 2000 gets done,
who knows what will happen?

I'm pretty sure 12-car platforms are part of the project. Extending some are
going to hard, though - Knebworth, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City (might
already be able to hold more than 8?) to name but a few that would seem
awkward.

We can heartily agree there. All the more puzzling given the much
increased miles per casualty being achieved for the class 365s by Hornsey
compared to their record at SET.

Possibly drivers unfamiliar with the coupling process, though this would
prob be an issue with SET too.