Old June 24th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Alan \(in Brussels\) Alan \(in Brussels\) is offline

Default Camden station redevelopment rejected

Press report forwarded FYI by:

- Alan (in Brussels)

"Campaigners' joy as station plan is axed

www.hamhigh.co.uk

by Matt Eley, 24 June 2005

A MULTI-MILLION pound development that would have changed the face of Camden
Town has been thrown out by the Deputy Prime Minister.

London Underground chiefs are reeling after their ambitious £130million
plans for the tube station were thrown out.

The scheme would have seen a seven-storey glass office block, houses and
shops rising above Camden Town.

The plan was originally rejected by Camden Council and now John Prescott has
agreed that, although the Northern Line station needs an upgrade, the block
would have ruined the area.

The decision means that landmark buildings that had been earmarked for
demolition, including the Electric Ballroom, Buck Street Market and Trinity
United Reformed Church, are safe, for the immediate future.

Kate Fuller, Electric Ballroom owner, said: "I had no idea what the outcome
was going to be so it came as a complete and utter surprise.

"Hopefully they realised the importance of the Electric Ballroom as a famous
venue and maybe now they will leave us alone. It is a big weight off our
shoulders so we will have a party to celebrate."

A report from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister published this week
states: "The Secretary of State concludes that the proposed above ground
development at an important location would not preserve or enhance the
character and appearance of the conservation area and would have a
detrimental impact on the vitality and viability of Camden Town centre."

Brian Coleman, Camden and Barnet member of the London Assembly, slammed the
decision.

He said: "It's an absolute betrayal by the government of users of the
Northern Line.

"This is the end of the project. We needed that new station, now the users
of the Northern Line face decades of misery."

rest of story SNIPPED