Old June 24th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Graham Harrison ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

I've driven in countries where headlights are the law and also in
parts of the USA where they are becoming the norm.

The US is a particularly entertaining case - they've legislated Daytime
Running Lights that come on with the ignition.

But only at the front.

So what they're finding, AIUI, is that more and more people are
"forgetting" to turn their proper lights on as dark approaches - no need,
their lights are on, they can see fine - but, of course, there's no REAR
lights on...

Only in 'merkinland.

Are the daytime running lights sidelights or headlights? I think in Sweden
they're just sidelights (certainly Volvos here only have their sidelights,
not headlights, on permanently). I hadn't realised that any countries
mandated headlights at all times. I wonder what the additional cost in extra
fuel consumption is - mind you, in America they think that gasoline "grows
on trees", don't they - limitless supply at cheap price.

I can't say I'm surprised about the situation in America: they don't require
cars to have front number plates (though many cars do have them) and they
allow cars to have flashing sidelights and tail lights rather than having
separate amber lights for indicators. My sister and her family were
rear-ended while waiting to turn left because the driver behind hadn't
noticed the flashing tail light in amongst all the other lights such as her
tail and brake lights. (I've always wondered what circuitry is required to
flash the side and tail lights while still allowing them to be switched on
and off normally: I checked her car because I was curious and it didn't have
dual-filiament bulbs: one for side light and another for indicator.)