Old August 23rd 03, 03:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Gerard McGovern Gerard McGovern is offline

Default Skaters on the road

What advice is given to the skaters when they encounter traffic ahead
going
in the same direction? Do they slow down and wait behind it, going at its
speed, or do the individual skaters break ranks and skate to the left and
right of other traffic? Do they obey the rule about not overtaking traffic
that's indicating (eg don't overtake a vehicle on the left if it's
indicating left and don't overtake a vehicle on the right if it's

indicating
right)? Do you try to keep the skaters confined to a single lane at
multi-lane junctions or on multi-lane roads so as to allow traffic to
overtake the skaters when it's safe to do so?

The primary piece of advice given to skaters is keep left. This obviously
means that skaters keep in the correct lane and also allows marshals to move
up and down the pack. We also must stay as a pack. There are front and back
marshals and anyone outside of these two areas is no longer considered part
of the skate. We also shout/reprimand anyone who skates on the pavement.

To be honest, it is very infrequent that we are actually overtaking traffic
so those rules hardly ever come into play. But when they do, we follow the
exact rules of the Highway Code. More often than not any cars that are in
the way ahead will be held by marshals for the safety of both the driver and
skaters. But as I said, this is infrequent.

For multi-lane roads, we will normally take up all available lanes. There
are on average 200 to 600 skaters each Wednesday and Friday so if you
imagine on a two-lane dual carriageway that would be a long line of skaters
and far too dangerous for cars to be passing all those skaters. We do go
over bridges a fair bit and in that instance we will keep everyone left and
allow the third or fourth lanes to be used by cars.

If you have any more questions, fire them at me.