Old June 24th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Camden station redevelopment rejected

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:43:59 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Alan (in Brussels) wrote:
Brian Coleman, Camden and Barnet member of the London Assembly, slammed
the decision.

He said: "It's an absolute betrayal by the government of users of the
Northern Line.

"This is the end of the project. We needed that new station, now the
users of the Northern Line face decades of misery."

Good to see society's intellectually challenged are being given good homes
in the London Assembly. Does he think LU are just going to give up on
Camden? Surely all they have to do is tone the plans down so they don't
completely destroy the town centre, and they'll be accepted.

But the plans can't be "toned down" too much or else you'll build
something that is not big enough and which will not comply with today's
safety and capacity requirements. While not fully familiar with the
desired level of capacity for the site the only other options are to dig
a new station that is largely underground thus reducing the surface
property issues. The issue with that is that it will (probably) cost so
much that there is no business case for proceeding. I think it is that
paradox that Mr Coleman might be referring to.

Camden Town station cannot cope properly with the demands made of it -
however it cannot be expanded at any price because there would be an
outcry from taxpayers about LU being profligate with public funds. I'd
call it a catch 22 - which seem to be a speciality of Mr Prescott's
department. First Thameslink and now this. What's he going to stop next
- the ELLX or Crossrail?
--
Paul C