Old June 24th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Circle Line up the spout again

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:25:11 GMT, "Malcolm Pinnell"
wrote:

Perhaps he means MML/Thameslink were stopped on Sunday with lines down -
spent a pleasant 2 hours in the breeze at Leagrave then took cab to Luton as
there was a rumour the slows were still going.

Some of us were in Derby attempting to get to London. Some of us were
told to travel via Birmingham just as a Central Trains departure to
Birmingham left the platform. Some of us were then fed a whole pack of
lies by Virgin Cross Country that we would be met at New Street and that
the connecting London Pendolino train would be held.

I'm so pleased that I didn't believe a word I was being told and I ran
like billy o to hear the whistle being blown as I hurtled down the
stairs to the London train. I caught it and attempted to stop it leaving
by explaining to both platform and on train staff about people being
behind me and needing the connection. However, Virgin let it leave thus
stranding goodness knows how many displaced Midland Mainline passengers
at New Street with a hour to wait. The train manager on the London train
said no one had told him to wait and that he was unable to contact the
control room.

We were then over 30 minutes late on an already extended journey time.
There was no at seat service, 3 toilets were blocked and out of service
and 3 coaches had no functioning air conditioning. To say it was
unpleasant is an understatement. And Virgin have the cheek to "rebrand"
the old BR slogan "the age of the train" as "the return of the train".
Well I would much rather have a railway system that could at least
function rather than flail around impersonating chaos.

People think LU are bad at comunicating - Thameslink are masters at
non-comunicating.........

Well Midland Mainline, Virgin, Central Trains and Network Rail are all
on my hit list after an utterly shambolic weekend of travel of which the
above tale is but one example. Awful, awful, awful.
--
Paul C