Old June 25th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Bradley David Bradley is offline

Default London buses - noise

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:56:35 +0100, "Fossil" wrote:

"ONscotland" wrote in message
roups.com...
marcb wrote:
The buses (which seem fairly new) on the route that goes past our house
- the 76 - often sound like a turbofan revving for take-off. Did they
skimp on sound insulation with these things - and are drivers told not
to keep over-revving as they seem to do?

In fact, are there any noise standards for buses?

M.

I am sure this has been asked before - but what is that squeal that
high pitched "sigh" that Bendy Buses make?

B.

Sound of the turbo from the engine?

It seems pollution comes in many guises. Not only does a diesel bus chuck out
all sorts of nasties from its tail pipe, but also you have an infernal noise
from the vehicle all the while the engine is running. Is it not time to have
something a lot better? Trolleybuses come to mind which would be just the
ticket.

David Bradley