Old June 26th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

"Bill Hayles" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:29:05 +0100, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 25 Jun 2005:

And it felt wrong not having a
red-and-amber "get ready to go, put the car in gear/drive, take the
handbrake off" phase to traffic lights, but I gather a lot of Europe is
like
that.

France certainly is; Germany is more like us. Not sure about any other
European countries,

Quick answer to two threads (since I am resident in Spain).

There's no red/amber at Spanish traffic lights; however we have a
great many flashing amber signals - proceed but give way.

I've often wondered whether we should adopt flashing amber more widely in
the UK: eg overnight at junctions which are very busy in the rush hour (and
so need conventional red or green aspects at those times) but which at night
have so little traffic that a red light (if the lights happen to be left for
traffic at right angles) can delay you. Give everyone flashing amber at
night and adopt "roundabout rules" (priority to traffic coming from the
right), perhaps? Over here, the only place where flashing amber tends to be
used is at pedestrian lights, as a longer-than-normal transition between red
and green.