Old June 26th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:45:00 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Going back to the earlier theme of "let's mock the Americans' way of doing
things", another thing that I found when I drove over there was that their
standard of signposting, once you got off the multi-lane highways, was
abysmal. Maybe I'm just used to a three-way sign at the junction of almost
every country lane in England. And the road name signs are very difficult to
read because they are in a very condensed font, in white letters on a pale
green background: signs are supposed to be legible! I can only comment on
Massachussetts roads: I don't know whether it's the same in all states. It
doesn't help that the road atlas that I had was organised by town (rather
than being a simple west-to-east, north-to-south arrangement) and the
various maps were at different scales and in different styles. And this was
a map book that boasted on its front cover "highly acclaimed" and "very easy
to use"!!!

Personally I find their street signs much better than we have here, in
that they appear at every road junction, with both streets and the
block numbers on them. Here it is unusual to find a street name at an
intermediate junction.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society