Old June 27th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] kinslerp@delillo.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk is offline

Default London Buses - they got a special on light bulbs or something?

Martin Underwood wrote:
Very interesting. There are some interesting features that we could do with
adopting he I like the idea of the red light as well as the green light
at filter junctions having an arrow.
[...]
If the filter red light was
red, you could tell at a glance whether or not it applied to you.

While in principle a red-filter might seem a good idea, it does
cause some cognitive dissonance (at least for me)[1].

Arrow == "go that way"
Red == "stop"

Stop... go... stop... go... stop... go... err...

By all means have a red filter, but ffs don't make
it an arrow. Perhaps a "--|" rather than "--".

[1] I've driven a little in Australia, where they have them.
The lights went from Green to Green+RedRightArrow and I had
about a second to (a) stop in the fast lane (of three)
or (b) cross three lanes of about-to-move oncoming traffic.
Now my concious brain knows what a red arrow means, but there
wasn't time to even think about checking for the curiousities
of local traffic rules...

#Paul