Old June 28th 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Camden station redevelopment rejected

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:59:32 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, John Rowland wrote:

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

"the users of the Northern Line face decades of misery."

Rubbish. The solution to Camden Town's problems is to
get more people to switch to Camden Road. I roughly
calculated that the money to be spent on rebuilding
Camden Town station would fund a decent service
on the North London Line every day for about a century.

Do explain. Just how does the NLL help people currently
using the Northern line get to where they want to go?

By removing from the Northern Line station all the people who want to go to
Wood Green, Seven Sisters, Wembley, etc, and who would use the North London
Line if only it were not so infrequent and lacking in quality interchanges.

True to a certain degree, but I think you'd need to do some serious
market research to find out how many people would potentially switch,
and whether it would be worthwhile. Given the zoning issues, I would
expect that a lot of people are already doing soi to avoid Zone 1.
For example, I'm nearest to Bounds Green, and flatmate who works in
Camden always uses the NLL already, so she doesn't have to pay for a
Z1 TC. Likewise, even though I have a Z1-3 TC for work, I'll often
use the NLL to get to Kew Gardens when I'm at the National Archives,
rather than the more crowded Picc/District.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk