Old August 23rd 03, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

Default Cross River Transit 2?

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message ...

"tim" wrote in message

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Just seen this story online:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N5BE22DA5

When did this project surface and why haven't we heard anything about it
before?

Because you haven't been reading in the right place.

These ideas for 'south to central london' trams have been around for a few
(6 or more) months, though this particular route to the city looks new. I
guess that something Ken has done is encouraging them.

Well Cross River Transit from Peckham and Brixton to Camden and King's Cross
I knew about since it's been around for ages and is well advanced. South
*west* London to the centre is all new to me.

A tram good idea?

IMHO it's a stupid idea. If the routes are overground then they will
get stuck in the traffic just like the buses and if they are underground
the'll be prohibitively expensive. If a dedicated route is the solution
then why not just build one for buses, it will be cheaper and much
more flexible

Tim

See the Croydon tram. Dedicate the route to *trams* not buses and you have a
high capacity, less polluting, more attractive route.

90% of this is on segregated, previously under-utilised, railway alignments.
I don't see how it can be comparable?

tim

--
Dave Arquati