Old June 30th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:24:00 +0100, Clive
wrote:

Yes they are, do you think that councils would go to the trouble of
increasing curb heights at bus stops and bus companies providing special
(therefore more expensive) busses than needed if it weren't for the
legislation around access to invalids such as wheelchair users?

1. MK Metro have at least one low floor bus without a wheelchair
space, so evidently, yes. This bus (relatively old, so probably one
of the very early low floor designs) was clearly designed only to make
it easier for people to board. (To be fair, I doubt a buggy would fit
either).

2. That the money was spent predominantly to provide wheelchair access
is irrelevant to the argument of whether the space is also intended
for prams, luggage, standing passengers, bicycles or whatever else
might happen to use it.

3. I've never seen a wheelchair user on a bus in Milton Keynes, ever,
not on a single occasion. I have, however, seen many prams.

4. Assuming they do not take place at the same time on the same
specific bus, provision for wheelchair and pushchair access are not
mutually exclusive.

Your comments are like saying that someone with heavy luggage should
not use a station lift, because it was most likely funded on the basis
of providing wheelchair access.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain