Old July 6th 05, 10:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
General Von Clinkerhoffen General Von Clinkerhoffen is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05....Transport in Aylesbury

Aylesbury does still have good if bloody expensive rail connections with
Chiltern, there are plans for an Aylesbury North station to be built
along with a big housing development, what we really need are links west
to east, connecting us with Oxford, MK, and Cambridge now that would be
fantastic, with the planned expansion of the town with Mad Uncle
Prescotts lets cover the entire south east with homes idea, the amount
of traffic is going to go through the roof, parts of the town are
already a pollution hotspot! to have this rail link, along with a bypass
would hopefully sort out some of the chaos that we have now, oh and
don't get me started on Arriva busses (bunch of crooks).

Adrian Auer-Hudson wrote:
Actually Tony, I am from Aylesbury. And I do not think the politicians
here in the US are above criticism. When it comes to railroads, the
word clueless comes to mind.

The word 'system' would be hard to apply to most of the passenger
railroads in the United States.

Nevertheless having grown up near a town (Aylesbury) with fine rail
links both north and south. Said routes having the potential for
development into a fine network, you will understand my disappointment
at the leftovers that Aylesbury has for it rail link today.

This is particularly strange in so far as Aylesbury was part of an area
that was expected to see, and did see, expanded housing and employment
as companies and individual were encouraged to relocate away from
London in the 1960s and 1970s.

Aylesbury never did gain a motorway connection, for which I am
grateful. However, it lost a fine mainline to the north. It lost the
fast service to London. It lost its link to the WCML at Cheddington
and all local service going north. All tat remains are the stopping
DMU services to London.

A couple of years back I recall one lady politician at Westminster
refer to "Arrangements in Breweries". My first thought in response was
"She would know, wouldn't she".

For some years now Tony, I have been part of a successful campaign for
rail expansion here in Los Angeles County, see
http://www.friends4expo.org/ It has been a long slog. But we are
making progress and doing so in a metropolis that loves cars and
freeways.

:-) Have a nice evening

Adrian.
HOLLYWOOD, CA