Old July 6th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Martin Edwards wrote:

Adrian Auer-Hudson wrote:

I guess as long as the UK has politicians she will have a bizarre
railway system.

The original reason was that politicians had nothing to do with it,
except to pass private Acts of Parliament to facilitate the haphazard
planning of dozens of private operators.

I think there was a bit more order to it than that, even if only a bit
more. For example, i understand that the government required railway
companies to build connections to other companies' tracks wherever
possible; it's only thanks to that that we have a single network at all!

tom

--
Like Kurosawa i make mad films; okay, i don't make films, but if i did they'd have a samurai.