Old August 25th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew P Smith Andrew P Smith is offline

Default Exact Fare Only

In article , Neil Williams
writes
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:18:11 +0100, CJG
wrote:

I knew about that. There are still benefits to paying by cash. If you
forget/lose your Oyster is just ONE example.
So why not let people still pay by cash but exact fare instead. And even
for a temporary measure for now its a good idea. Ken says buses won't be
100% cashless till 2006. So for next three years make everyone pay exact
fare and after a bit of confusion to start with things will speed up

Why not let them still pay cash - at a ticket machine off the bus?
This is what is being done.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the machines allow overpayment (now
a one day bus pass is gbp2.50 - previously, of course, if you didn't
have a quid you could just buy a pass) or if they allow a gbp2 coin to
be inserted for the purchase of 2 single tickets? I always use a
Travelcard in London, so I doubt I'm going to get chance to try...

Neil

One of the reasons for this is so that the buses don't spend so long at
each stop as the driver isn't delaying pax boarding by having to issue
tickets etc. Also cuts down on the chance of theft or fraud on ticket
revenue.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this