Old July 6th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CMOT TMPV CMOT TMPV is offline

Default 2012 Olympics come to London

Once upon a time -- around about 7/6/05 08:05 --
possibly wrote:

Well we got em, here's to a nice quiet life on the underground...

As a Merkin, I will warn you all that I'm coming over for them. I probably
ought to reserve a room now, what don't you think? It's pretty much any
excuse for me to go to London, but this is a REASON not an excuse. I promise
to spend way too much in your city which has just made this year's CNN list
of the most expensive cities to live in (at #3 behind Tokyo an Osaka).

Congratulations.

Once upon a time -- around about 7/6/05 10:27 --

possibly wrote:

umpston wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 6 Jul 2005:

And it was bloody brilliant!! Bring it on!

AMEN!! I, for one, am utterly delighted. Whether we actually enjoy
living here while it's happening is one thing - but I do think it will,
overall, be an excellent thing for London, and contribute enormously to
quality of life in that part of the capital after the event.

I am also glad to see most of you are happy about it. I know there will be
naysayers, but it will bring some great things to your city (ignoring the
actual COST of it, of course). Atlanta (I went to their Olympics) got great
new infrastructure and so will London.

Speaking of nay-sayers: Atlanta proved that an Olympics CAN be a break-even
or better proposition. London does NOT have to bankrupt itself.

To everyone: try volunteering. You'll have fun. There's many things you can
do, and for two weeks your city will be virtually shut down for everything
else anyway. Expect many companies to give up and just close for two weeks

-- CMOT

--
"Not all men are fools. Some are bachelors." -- Anon