Old July 6th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Adrian Auer-Hudson Adrian Auer-Hudson is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05/Aylesbury ant its Railways, or lack thereof.

Tony Polson wrote:

I really wonder if you are talking about the Aylesbury I know, because
that is where I live.

Let us assume that your question is rhetorical and leave it at that.

Aylesbury has superb rail links to London, with fast, modern, clean
trains offering a punctual and reliable service. There are excellent
connections into the London Underground system, with whose services
the Aylesbury service of Chiltern Railways is well coordinated.

Chiltern have been an outstanding operator. Probably one of the few
success stories to emerge from privatization.

There are two routes to London, one via Amersham and the other via
High Wycombe. The latter route offers an easy interchange at Princes
Risborough with express trains to Banbury, Leamington Spa and
Birmingham, which have recently doubled in frequency.

One is aware of the above. And, again Chiltern can be commended for
their improvements.

Presumably you would like the little-used rural lines that used to
radiate from Aylesbury to be kept open with large government subsidy,
rather than spending the money on services that people actually want
to use, in very large numbers.

No I don't think Waddesden Manor should re-open. No do I think the
Brill Branch has a place in the modern world except possible and a
preservation project. I do think that extending, or re-opening, lines
to centers of population like Banbury and Milton Keynes has real value.
Not only would this offer local service but the opportunities for
connection to longer distance services. I do not think re-opening the
line to Cheddington has any merit, but I think re-connecting Aylesbury
to the WCML at Watford and/or Milton Keynes offers real travel
possibilities.

Can you explain why the citizens of Reading, Oxford, Watford, Leighton
Buzard, Luton, Bedford and Welwyn should all enjoy through services to
the North whilst those residing in Buckinghamshire's County seat do
not?

Chiltern Railways is a great success, and enjoys strong local support.

As it should. They are a good company.

Please don't knock it.

I think your criticism of Aylesbury's excellent rail services is
wholly misplaced, being based on old fashioned sentiment rather than
common sense rooted in reality.

Does "Old" equal "Bad"? I happen to think the loss of the Great
Central Route was a bad thing. Evidently Chiltern Railways agree with
me. They have discussed extending northwards.

Moreover I believe the Pacific Electric Railway better served Los
Angeles and its environs better than the present day freeway system.
In that respect my view is a minority one. But my view on that is far
from unique. New and shining is NOT always better. All that glitters
is not gold.

When the Great Central main line was closed, the SW main line to Exeter
was also slated for closure. Now that line is viewed as a valuable
aset. Yet if I apply your logic to that line, it should also have been
closed. I doubt you really believe that.

Your response appears to come from a man who is tired and whose pet
project has gone badly wrong. Neither of which will I hold against you

:-)

A.

LACo, CA.