Old July 7th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pyromancer Pyromancer is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Martin
Edwards gently breathed:
Adrian Auer-Hudson wrote:
Nevertheless having grown up near a town (Aylesbury) with fine rail
links both north and south. Said routes having the potential for
development into a fine network, you will understand my disappointment
at the leftovers that Aylesbury has for it rail link today.
This is particularly strange in so far as Aylesbury was part of an
area
that was expected to see, and did see, expanded housing and employment
as companies and individual were encouraged to relocate away from
London in the 1960s and 1970s.

This was typical of planning in the period, which assumed universal car
ownership. After all, we all watched Perry Mason, didn't we?

Back in the 1980s I recorded a long Channel 4 series about public
transport. Alas I never got round to watching all of it (what was that
Douglas Addams said about having videos to watch programmes so you
didn't have to? g), but from one of the episodes I did watch I
remember someone commenting that the New Towns had been based on the
concept of universal car ownership, but completely ignored the fact that
one car per household does not mean one car per person, as usually the
main breadwinner will drive the car to work and leave the rest of the
family marooned in their
impossible-to-serve-sensibly-with-public-transport house for the day.

NP: Paralysed Age - Bloodsucker 2000 (Empire Of The Vampire).
--
- Pyromancer Stormshadow.
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk -- Pagan Gothic Rock!