Old July 7th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Goodland Peter Goodland is offline

Default 2012 Olympics come to London

I don't buy that at all. Who ever took up sport (other than a brief trip
or
two to the gym) as a result of watching the World Cup/Olympics/Wimbledon?

quote
But Coe saved his finest masterstroke for the closing moments of the
campaign when he delivered a very personal speech to IOC delegates during
London's final presentation in Singapore.

"When I was 12 years old I was marched into a large school hall with my
classmates and we watched grainy pictures from the 1968 Mexico Olympic
Games," he told the delegates.

"Two athletes from our home town were competing. John Sherwood won a bronze
medal in the 400m hurdles. His wife Sheila just narrowly missed gold in the
long jump.

"By the time I was back in my classroom, I knew what I wanted to do - and
what I wanted to be. Thirty-five years on, I stand before you with those
memories still fresh. Still inspired by this great movement."

/quote

--

Peter