Old July 7th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mrs Redboots Mrs Redboots is offline

Default 2012 Olympics come to London

Adrian wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 6 Jul 2005:

Mrs Redboots ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

To say nothing of overall health improved as more people take up sport?

I don't buy that at all. Who ever took up sport (other than a brief trip or
two to the gym) as a result of watching the World Cup/Olympics/Wimbledon?

I know a very great many people who took up ice-skating as a direct
result of the world championships coming to the UK in 1995. And that
didn't even involve building new ice-rinks, as a temporary ice surface
was used. We (the skating community) are all hoping they will come to
London in 2008.

Why will the fact it's London rather than Paris make a difference in that
respect?

Because they will have the sports facilities on their doorsteps, not 2.5
hours away by Eurostar.

All so we can have another seven years of the kind of chaos Wembley's
redevelopment is causing, with the end result being another Millenium Doom.

No, the Dome is being used for the Olympics, so they tell me! But a new
50-metre swimming-pool, new athletics stadium, the Dome actually being
used.... no way will it be a white elephant!

The good side is that Tony hasn't got a cat in hell's come the next
election. Ooops. He's already said he's not standing again. Hiho. We'll
have to take it out on Ken instead. Ooops. He's already said he's not
standing again.

Frankly, if they've done one good thing over the past n years, it's been
to support the bid!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/