Old July 7th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default LU chaos

In message .com,
writes

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:
There are no alternatives, do not travel, there are no busses, tube and
the mainline trains are stopping short of the city.

Your suggestion for getting home would be what exactly?

Only one I can think of - taxi

Best thing is to try to find a number of people going your way and then
try to find a taxi that is going the same way. Don't be surprised if the
driver refuses however as any journey is likely to take more than one
hour and drivers can legally refuse any journey over 1 hour or 12 miles
distance.

I'm desperately trying to make a posting which doesn't seem as though
taxi drivers will be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of
making extra money. Believe me they will be amongst the first to condemn
any act of terrorism.

There is one fact which has troubled me for some time and that is the
number of 'minicabs' who come and go to many of our most 'protected'
businesses, each of which may have a driver who's criminal records
cannot be verified - unlike the vetting that the fully licensed 'black'
cab has to go through.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England