Old July 7th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
the new avenger the new avenger is offline

Default Bus Use in London Emergency

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , the new
avenger writes
Part of the duties of Centrecomm, the Transport for London bus Control
Centre, involve coordinating bus operations and liaison with the emergency
services and local authorities in any major incident in the Capital. There
are very comprehensive emergency procedures under which service buses can
be
commandeered for removal of casualties and for the transport of persons
involved in the aftermath. Centrecomm is at the heart of these activities.

That's good, sensible and reassuring to hear. I've just never heard of
it actually being *done* before. Has it been?

I'm not sure - possibly not; however many plans have been developed and
formulated after the attacks in New York in 2001. This of course is the
first concerted terrorist attack in the UK which has been directed at the
transport system so its natural that the transport system should be heavily
involved in the recovery operations after. My knowledge of Centrecomm is
rather basic; having been involved in contingency planning as a serving
officer in the Ambulance Service I am only aware of the basics with regard
to London, TfL and its operations. As has been pointed out, in any major
incident - and it need not be terrorist related, it could be natural
disasters - public transport anywhere in the UK can be commandeered for use.

From what I've heard so far, the emergency services AND the transport
authorities in London are coping very well indeed, far better in fact than
many emergency staff would have suspected. No doubt there will be lessons to
be learned, but they will be the sort that no 'exercise' will ever teach,
and thus our response to any similar incidents in the future will be even
more resilient.

Simon