Old July 7th 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

I think there was a bit more order to it than that, even if only a bit
more. For example, i understand that the government required railway
companies to build connections to other companies' tracks wherever
possible; it's only thanks to that that we have a single network at all!

ROFL! They had to put some in after the grouping or during the war but
few if any connections were Government-imposed.

But ... but ... i read it on a website!

Specifically, Chris Tolley's Railway Junction Diagrams site:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/cj.tolley/rjd/rjd-intro.htm

Which says:

"Although laws from the mid-1800's required newly-built railways to
connect to existing railways wherever practicable, thus building up a
network, like many well-intentioned pieces of legislation, this did not
lead to complete co-operation between the multiplicity of companies."

Have i been bamboozled?

tom

--
They travel the world in their ice cream van ...