Old July 7th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default 2012 Olympics come to London

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:04:42 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

I can't speak for other sports, but certainly in population terms
London is not an illogical choice for the new Aquatic Centre. The
existing pools - at least the ones that are open to the public - are
fairly evenly spread across England & Scotland, with the only real gap
being the south coast and Birmingham, although there is a pool in
Coventry. London only has Ealing and Crystal Palace, which aren't
really _in_ London. Considering the population of London and the
surrounding commuter towns, even to maintain the average balance
across the country, the capital should have four 50m pools.

Despite being a 50m pool, the Manchester pool is (was, I haven't used
it in a few years) normally only half-open (allowing a 25m swimming
length). This is apparently because they need two lifeguards to
patrol a 50m pool, and the Council are too cheap.

No idea if this applies to the others, mind!

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain