Old July 7th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 01:33:12 +0100, Pyromancer
wrote:

Back in the 1980s I recorded a long Channel 4 series about public
transport. Alas I never got round to watching all of it (what was that
Douglas Addams said about having videos to watch programmes so you
didn't have to? g), but from one of the episodes I did watch I
remember someone commenting that the New Towns had been based on the
concept of universal car ownership, but completely ignored the fact that
one car per household does not mean one car per person, as usually the
main breadwinner will drive the car to work and leave the rest of the
family marooned in their
impossible-to-serve-sensibly-with-public-transport house for the day.

That certainly was not the case in Crawley, where the provision of
both garages and parking places assumed a very low level of car
ownership in the initial developments.

The thinking seemed to be that, if you relocated people from inner
London, they would not want to own cars, and would be happy with
public transport. They were wrong.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society