Old July 8th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Which way were the trains going?

In message op.stlq76b0w13aik@stephen, Dockland
writes

The destination board on the bus clearly shows "Hackney Wick"
suggesting it was travelling from Marble Arch to Hackney.

Ah - I hadn't seen that. In the photos I've seen the front destination
blind appears to be hanging out and thus unreadable.

This would make sense as if it was on diversion because of Kings X it
would be after KX if you were headed for Marble Arch.

Yes. I think you are right. I initially assumed the diversion was
because of a build-up of westbound traffic because of Edgware Road, but
a diversion to avoid King's X for eastbound traffic is more likely. In
fact, I've now seen an eye-witness account on the BBC website that says
the police were directing all eastbound traffic on the Euston Road (and
pedestrians) south down through Tavistock Square in order to avoid
King's Cross.

It is awful to think that if the police hadn't diverted the traffic, the
bus would quite likely have blown up outside King's Cross, just as the
evacuation and rescue was proceeding there.

Even more awful is to think that that was what the bomber intended - and
hence perhaps the reports of the bomber becoming increasingly agitated
as he realised that the time was near but the destination had not been
reached.

it would be after KX if you were headed for Marble Arch. On the other
hand if the bus was going to Hackney, why was the diversion
southbound, wouldn't you head up Eversholt Street from Euston?

Probably longer to have to go via Camden Town. I imagine that Russell
Square was not closed at this stage - the tube station is not in the
square itself. Still I wasn't there (thankfully) and this is all
speculation.

--
Paul Terry