Old July 10th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Which way were the trains going?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:29 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

This is the first deep-level tube bomb. That is a very different
matter from cut and cover tunnels as the blast will have been much
more confined.

Apart from Wood Green in 1975 (the day after West Ham), of course.

Details? I don't recall that. Was it in a train in a running tunnel? What
stock was involved?

'The Story of London's Underground' [Ray & Reed, 8th edition, 2001,
page 179 ("Triumphs and Tragedies" chapter)]:

"The following day [after West Ham, i.e. 16 March 1975] a bomb
exploded on a Piccadilly Line train reversing during the evening at
Wood Green. Fortunately no-one was seriously hurt, but had the bomb
exploded later as presumably intended, the train would have been
packed with Arsenal supporters going home after an evening game at
Highbury. As a security precaution, litter-bins were removed from
Underground station"

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk