Old July 10th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Biometric ID cards

And this incident just goes to prove that there would be no worthwhile
security benefits.

How do we know that?Last I heard the system isn't in place yet,or have you
already got your card?....Just asking.

Because ID cards would not have prevented this incident. And they
would not prevent similar incidents in the future. There would be no
shortage of available targets for terrorists to bomb.

Doing that is good,as far as it goes,but biometric info on a chip will go a
lot further without the bulk of carrying scads of documents for a medico to
scan through instead of having a card reader there and all the important
info come up on a screen as quickly as getting money from the 'hole in the
wall',especially those with multiple medical problems (as some people do
have)

You can fit all the important stuff on a piece of card. And what's
quicker if you find a card on someone in (say) a deep level tube
tunnel: reading what's on the card, or taking the card up to the
surface, then finding an ID-network-connected card reader, and
scanning it? Plus you didn't mention how the £15bn (estimated, it
could be far higher) cost was justified.

Granted,we should not be using these cards without proper checks and
balances,but for those who are not breaking the law,and are asked for a
lawful reason to produce it,

There can be no lawful reason to be asked to produce it. No law exists
allowing the police to demand an identity card.

True,but at this point in time,do we not use photo drivers licenses for
Identification?

No we don't, not all of us anyway. I don't have a driving licence. In
fact I'm not required to carry any sort of ID at all.

So who is saying all that is not still private?With checks and balances this
card should only be used in certain instances and remain private to everyone
except police/courts/doctors/customs or similar people/agencies

All I will say is, you are very trusting of the Government and of all
the people and companies who will have access to the (very valuable)
data.

At the moment we have my favourite check and balance in place; it's
called "not having a National Identity Register". Given that ID cards
would have few if any benefits to the populace, I don't see why we
should accept any change to this state of affairs.