Old July 10th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which way were the trains going?

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:29 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

This is the first deep-level tube bomb. That is a very different
matter from cut and cover tunnels as the blast will have been much
more confined.

Apart from Wood Green in 1975 (the day after West Ham), of course.

Details? I don't recall that. Was it in a train in a running tunnel?
What stock was involved?

'The Story of London's Underground' [Ray & Reed, 8th edition, 2001,
page 179 ("Triumphs and Tragedies" chapter)]:

"The following day [after West Ham, i.e. 16 March 1975] a bomb
exploded on a Piccadilly Line train reversing during the evening at
Wood Green. Fortunately no-one was seriously hurt, but had the bomb
exploded later as presumably intended, the train would have been
packed with Arsenal supporters going home after an evening game at
Highbury. As a security precaution, litter-bins were removed from
Underground station"

So in the station or in the open? And what did litter bins have to do with
it? I thought they were removed after a number of IRA bombs (not
necessarily in London) were placed in litter bins.

--
Colin Rosenstiel