Old August 26th 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Exact Fare Only

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:20 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

This is what seems most odd about the new policy in Central London. A lot
of the routes have Routemasters with conductors who are presumably not now
allowed to take fares. Stupid.

They are, but I noticed, while in London last weekend, that the
Routemasters were now being delayed by people asking if they could
still pay on board or not...

I'd argue that allowing people with Travelcards, Savers[1] etc to
board at the rear while others buy their tickets would speed things up
much more than off-bus ticketing - but I agree the latter also makes
sense in very busy areas.

[1] Simply provide a locked box by the rear doors with a small slot in
which the Saver stub is posted. Inspectors would have a key, and
could retrieve the stubs in order to carry out the ticket check.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.