Old August 26th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Two things

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:45:42 +0100 Robert Woolley wrote:
}
} ii) For further illustration see Oxford Stree New Years Eve/Day. The
} stops have signs up saying closed - please use X. Do people read them?
}
} Do they hell.

Selfishly I'm rather pleased they don't. A couple of New Years ago I
was making my way home and noted the 300 or so people crowding the
pavement and road around the 8 & 25 stops eastbound near TCR. Not being
willing to play that game I walked east and happened to catch an _empty_
bus at the foot of Bloomsbury Street.

One of the nicest night-bus journeys home I've had! :-)

But note *I* hadn't seen any posters! It was just luck that I did the
advantageous thing. In fact I'm reasonably sure that the stops were not
marked as being closed.

Mind you there were a number of police monitoring the crowd at the buss
stops. None of _them_ bothered telling people that the busses weren't
running on that bit of road that night.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.