Old July 12th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] nick.cooper-625delete@virgin.net is offline

Default London Blasts - Look for ONE culprit!

Ed Lake wrote:
Tadej Brezina wrote:

He could have arrived at King's Cross on the eastbound Circle Line
train, leaving the FIRST bomb on that train.
He could have placed the SECOND bomb on the westbound Circle Line train
without actually riding it, just getting on, leaving the bomb and
getting off.
Same with the THIRD bomb. He could have placed it on the Picadilly Line
train without actually riding the train. They say the bomb was on the
first car, right where the escalator from the lower level would have
brought the culprit. He placed the bomb on the train and then took the
escalator to the surface.

Your scenario may be plausible from the "time between different trains point
of view", but don't you thinj, that the the following might be a little
suspicious?
That would mean for bomb 1 and bomb 2 that he entered the train, preferably
as first person of the entering crowd, placing the bomb somewhere and
leaving the train at the very same station, which is KX, if I got your
theory right.
How long do trains stand in stations in general and in KX in special on
average. I guess somewhere ranging between 20s and one minute. Including the
expectedly large crowds on the platforms and IN the trains, that would put
some additional stress. Many people in the train, probably no seat to claim
- for placing the bomb beneath - just hopping on, trying to appear calm and
place what kind of bomb on whichever place and getting off at the same
station - probably hassling through the people that entered the train after
him - without causing attention ... well I don't know!

How big could a bomb have been? Was it more like the size of cell phone
(highly explosive stuff) or somewehere at the briefcase/rucksack size
(probably a bigger amount of less brisant explosives).

It's been officially stated that each bomb weighed less than 10 pounds
(or had less than 10 pounds of explosive), and it was NOT super high
grade explosive like Semtex. So, the entire bomb was probably the size
of a liter soda bottle or a boxed liquor bottle. He would have been
able to carry all four in a bag or backpack with no problem.

The weight of the explosives being expressed in pounds is pretty much
meaningless, given that different compounds have different
characteristics. Just three pounds of semtex, however, would do far
far more damage than any of the bombs used on Thursday, so it is seems
more likely that it was a commercial explisive such as gelignite (used
in quarrying/mining). The bombs were probably somewhere between 5 and
10 pounds, meanign that a lone bomber would have to be staggering
around initially with a 20 to 40 pounds of explosives, not including
the additional weight of the devices (timer/s, deontator/s, casings,
etc.).

I can hardly imagine someone forgetting a bag in this short a time in the
small carriages full of people with nobody seeing it and getting
curious/suspicious or simply helpfull and trying to get the bag to the owner
back.
But it may be possible if London's tube-riders are as sleepy or less caring
as in Vienna.

The point is that the deed was done when people were getting off and
getting on the train. Everyone is focused on other things, like getting
off or getting on and finding a seat. I don't think he left a bag
behind anywhere except on the bus. I think he just left the bomb behind
- and it looked ordinary, like a box not like a bomb.

Yeah, right. A box is going to look suspiscious; a bag less so, but
still "dodgy."