Old August 27th 03, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Exact Fare Only

In article , Matthew
Malthouse writes
A favoured dodge of the local youf was to drop a couple of low
denomination coins into the box quickly so the driver was unlikely to
see what had been used knowing that if challeneged there was no way of
proving their fraud.

When I was growing up in Southend-on-Sea some of the blue buses (but not
the green ones) had a no-change-given system - you could overpay. You
dropped the coins into a hopper and the machine would print images of
them on to the paper ticket (one bit of fun was to drop lots of 1/2p
coins in for, e.g. a 20p fare, so that you got a really long ticket).

[Clearly the coins were being pressed against a typewriter-style ribbon.
Not only were the images reversed on the paper and randomly rotated, you
could see the different designs of shilling and florin.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: