Old August 27th 03, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Chris Read Chris Read is offline

Default Old LT Garages

"Nick Hewitt" wrote:

Hi people. This is a bit long, so please bear with me. I am trying to
track down a number of past & present ex-LT bus garages. They are :-

(snip)

3) The depot at Hornchurch. Strictly speaking, this was NOT in
Hornchurch, but on Hornchurch Road, west of Hornchurch proper. I
suspect that it was on the north side of Hornchurch Road a couple of
hundred yards east of Roneo Corner. Could anyone confirm/correct my
guess?

The garage was on the south side of Hornchurch Road, roughly opposite the
junction with Hyland Way. It was separated from the junction with Candover
Road by a small parade of shops, which remain, though the garage site has
been redeveloped as housing. Also, though the garage was well out of town,
that location does carry a Hornchurch, rather than Romford, postal address,
and is much closer to the former. I wonder how the garage got the RD code?
Romford Garage, of course, carrying the NS code and being known to this day
as North Street.

Chris